Saturday, December 1, 2007

Knudsen's News of the Wacky: Zany Forgotten Laws.....

Belvidere, NE-The small southern Nebraska town of Belvidere, known locally for its $3 Dollar Meatloaf, secret underground missile silos, and Lucky the 5-legged cow, also has some zany old laws still on the books:

"Law 137.9a: There shall be no picking of turnips after Founder's Day until the first full moon of the new year. Violaters of this law shall be buried unto their waist for a sixth night."

"I'm a big fan of Law 137.9a," Mayor Spooner Jenkins explained. "It's still very much applicable to today's modern Belvidere. Seriously, who hasn't been frustrated with late season turnip pickers?"

"Ordinance 214.G1: The breeding of irregular sheep is henceforth to be punishable by hanging. Spontaneously occuring irregular sheep are to be slaughtered and buried with haste."

"We've had 3 executions already this month," Jenkins revealed. "It's good for moral to see what can happen if you break the law around here."

2 comments:

Aviva said...

Boy do you make me laugh. I'm new to your blog and dying for the back history of it, but I'll find it eventually. In the meantime, I'm tagging you for the 7 Random Things meme. It's not your usual thing, but I'm sure you can make it very amusing if you choose to respond. Look here for details: http://sickmomma.blogspot.com/2007/12/random-things.html

Sid Schwab said...

I growed up near to Belvidere, and I tell you whut. It ain't "breeding of irregular sheep" 'at's the problem. It's the irregular breeding of 'em. If you know what I mean. Just don'ta a be goin' there with rubber boots on. Them's the execution bait, sure as hell.